Monday, July 11, 2011

Reverting Back

It's weird.  Now that I have a granddaughter (check out the previous post), I feel like I'm going backwards in time.  I find myself doing things that I thought I had given up for good. 

Example: Once again, I check for diaper coupons in the ads that come in the mail.  I used to have a regular stash of coupons even though I used cloth diapers on my kids for the most part (and I didn't have a diaper service!)  Now, I try to keep an eye out for them to either pass on to my kids or use to use to buy a box of  gold...I mean diapers...to give to them.  The problem this time around is remembering to get the coupons to them before they expire. Yeah, I'm not so great at that.

This past weekend, I hit the garage sales for the first time in a very long time! GARAGE SALE signs used to act as a magnet for me.  But I figured that this was the way to find cheap children's books and toys.  And SCORE!  I found both!  I also found and bought a second waffle iron which was not on my "to buy" list, but it goes so well with my first waffle iron that I bought at a garage sale nearly 25 years ago.  I figured it was time for a back-up iron.

I also bought a stroller this weekend from my niece, Sarah, for $30.  It's a great stroller.   However, it took a little while for Sarah to take me through the training session on how to use it.  I can now open and close this little buggy with one hand!  And as long as I can remember that anything that is "red" on the stroller means it is meant to DO something, I'll be alright.  But if I'm being honest here, I kind of miss the simplicity of my little umbrella stroller that required no training for me to be able to push my kids in it.

When I go shopping these days, I once again make a quick sweep through the baby section. I haven't bothered with that area of the store for years.  My daughter-in-law has told me that Ella doesn't need any clothes right now.  But somehow that didn't stop me from buying her two pairs of sandals over the weekend.  Well, technically, sandals ARE NOT clothes! 

But what really makes me feel like I've gone back in time is the amount of baby equipment that is spread out around my house...and aside from the aforementioned stroller...I haven't bought any of it!  Thanks to family and friends, I have a Pack-N-Play bed, a baby swing, a high chair and a BIG Exersaucer toy.  And these are all decorating various rooms of my house. 

Of course, there is one thing that reminds me that I'm not really reverting back to days gone by.  And that's the fact that "my baby" goes home at night. And I admit that I don't miss getting up in the middle of the night.  Oh, wait a minute.  I DO get up in the middle of the night. But now it's because I have to go to the bathroom! Hmm, maybe I am reverting back...

1 comment:

Katie said...

I saw the sandals you bought! CUTE!