Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lo-Tech and Lovin' It!

Sometimes we take things for granted.  We just get so used to having them that we don't even realize how important they are. 

A couple of weeks ago, I suddenly recognized one of those oft-taken-for-granted items in my life.  Its size and simplicity made it easy to overlook until I realized that I would be lost without it!  What is it?

The Post-it note!


Before expressing my deep gratitude for these simple little notes, a bit of background from the ever-popular Wikipedia:

"A Post-it note is a piece of stationery with a re-adherable strip of adhesive on the back, designed for temporarily attaching notes to documents and other surfaces. Although now available in a wide range of colors, shapes, and sizes, Post-it notes are most commonly a 3-inch (76 mm) square, canary yellow in color."

Truly, I don't know what I would do without these multicolored wonders.  First of all, there are no on/off switches to worry about or batteries to recharge.  I don't have to worry if there is enough memory because, hey, they basically ARE my memory!  I have little reminder notes stuck on my desk, my glasses case, my lunch bag, my car keys...and occasionally on the back of my hand. 

I know that there are scores of fancy techie devices designed to help us get organized.   But for me, a few simple scraps of paper bring order to my life (is that as pathetic as it sounds?).

So here's to that marvelous little invention!  Three cheers for the indispensible Post-It note!

No comments: