Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ordinary Heroes

Ordinary heros.  Perhaps that sentence is an oxymoron. We tend to think of a hero as someone who is larger than life, beyond the ordinary.  But actually, the Merriam-Webster dictionary says that a hero is simply someone of great strength and ability.  And recently, I've been sharing my space with people of great strength who are an inspiration to me.

On Friday night, my husband and I spent the evening with some friends from church.  One of the women has a disease that, for the past few years, has been stealing her eyesight.  It is quite likely that eventually she will be completely blind.  So, on Friday, I asked her what she sees when she looks at me.  My friend began to explain that, depending on the light, she mostly only sees outlines and shadows and light.  She can no longer make out features clearly. I was stunned. While I knew that she was losing her eyesight, I didn't realize how bad it had become. Yet this friend of mine goes through her day with a graciousness and optimisim that I would find difficult to muster.  I'm sure she has her moments of fear and loss, but her courage in facing her everday challenges inspires me.  In my life, she is an ordinary hero.

I have a sister who has been in an emotionally abusive relationship for many years.  But over two years ago, she decided that she wanted out.  Unfortunately, it wasn't as easy as simply saying she was done.  The manipulation and control that she had been under for so long, made it extremely difficult to just walk away.  So she fought her way out.  She sought counseling, she read and educated herself on the subject, she had many failed attempts to get out, but she didn't give up.  This past fall, she put an end to a 22-year relationship that had stolen her joy and self esteem for too long.  With the help of family and friends, she is starting over and her future is now filled with optimism.  In my life, she is an ordinary hero.

I have a friend who went through a horrendous year last year.  Along with caring for elderly parents whose needs are great and a constant demand on her time, she experienced the loss of a child.  Not through death, but through the actions of that child who betrayed her love and shattered her heart.  She finally had to turn her back and say "no more" because to do otherwise would only have contributed further to that child's downward decline.  But as a mother, that decision was heartbreaking.  Yet today, she chooses to see hope for better days in 2011.  In my life, she is an ordinary hero.

These are not the only people of great strength in my life. I am fortunate to be surrounded by many others. Some are heroic in how they exhibit integrity, forgiveness, compassion or a determination to simply keep going in difficult situations.  They are the blessings that encourage and inspire me each and every day, when I take the time to notice them.  You might want to take a moment to recognize the heroes in your life too.  I'm sure they are there, living ordinary lives in heroic ways.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I am constantly amazed at what people can endure and continue to go on. The ones you've listed are incredible.