Friday, January 28, 2011

A Little Bit of Panic!

Last night was the first, of possibly many nights to come, where I lost sleep over my daughter's upcoming wedding.  For some reason, I woke up in the middle of the night and my mind started churning out lists of things that suddenly needed immediate attention!  My gosh, what have we been doing the past seven months?  This wedding is only two and a half months away.  Did you hear that?  Two and a half months! 

How do people pull together all of the details for an occasion like this?  It certainly wasn't as complicated back when my husband and I tied the knot.  We managed to get guests to our wedding by simply sending out an invitation.  Nobody needed to get a reminder in the mail to "save the date." 
And once we got the church booked, we were good.  There was no search for the perfect "venue" for the reception.   No catering calls or need for DJs to keep the reception moving along.  All we needed was a fellowship hall at the church, a cake, some mixed nuts (and I'm not referring to any of the guests), some pastel mints and we called it good.

But last night I started trying to figure out just how we were going to manage to get the church decorated, hold a wedding rehearsal, have a rehearsal dinner and decorate an entire reception hall all in an hour and a half.  Okay...so there's a little more time than that, but in the darkness of night, it didn't feel like it.

And then there are all of the special details that need to be tended to for the reception.  My daughter would kill me if I divulged details at this point, but last night the list seemed overwhelming.  So much to remember; so easy to forget.  The ironic thing is that my daughter has been doing a great job taking care of all these things.  But what kind of mother would I be if I didn't worry myself sick over things that aren't my reponsibility in the first place.  And I'm very, very good mother!

I don't know.  I'm sure that, somehow, everything will come together just fine.  Brides...and mothers of the brides have been pulling off these events for years.  I may just need to stock up on a few sleeping aids to help me sleep like a baby.  Baby?  Wait a minute, I have a grandbaby coming any day now! Aw heck.  I might as well just plan on worrying my way through the nights for the next two and a half months. Really, it's not that long.

1 comment:

The Guys said...

No worries...You are the glue, "Gluestick"...It's going to be great. By the way, your widget is working great and I have loved reading your older posts just as much as the new. LOVE this blog!