Tuesday, January 4, 2011

All Boxed Up and Ready to Simplify

I took a day of vacation today and used a big part of it to take down and box up my Christmas decorations.  I usually like to leave my decorations up just until New Years and then I want it all gone and my house back to normal.

But I was a bit slow to getting the packing done this year.  However, as I was putting all of the decorations back in their boxes and bringing out my "normal" things, I suddenly was overwhelmed with the desire to clean out my house.  I've been feeling it lately... an almost suffocating feeling of too much stuff!

So while I am not one to make New Years resolutions, this year, I really do hope to make some serious progress at cleaning out closets, drawers, boxes and any place else that is harboring stuff that I no longer need or want. 

I feel almost giddy at the thought getting out from under all of this stuff.  Not only am I ready to let go of things, but I'm ready to release some "traditions" that no longer have meaning for me or bring me joy.  Instead, they fall into the category of "one more thing I have to do."  Who needs that?

So, while I won't be renting a dumpster for my driveway (although I could probably fill one!), I am going to start doing little projects that will clean out and free up spaces in my house. I'm feeling more optimistic just thinking about it!

1 comment:

The Guys said...

Grandma-to-be is nesting! Go, Laura!