Friday, January 1, 2010

Devotions for 2010

I went to the Christian bookstore today to pick out a new devotional book to use in my morning quiet times. Every year I usually have two or three books that I read in addition to my Scripture reading.

For the past four years, I have included Oswald Chamber's "My Utmost for His Highest" and I'm amazed how each year, God has revealed new things to me.

As I was digging through the huge bins of books on sale, I was praying for God to show me what book I should include this year. It was a struggle. I couldn't find many devotionals.

So I sat on a bench next to one of the bins and started reading the introduction to a book by John MacArthur that I had decided to buy. I happened to glance back in the bin and there is was. Right in front of me. Another book by John MacArthur. This one a small devotional book entitled "Truth for Today; A Daily Touch of God's Grace." My search was over.

Now, I am excited to see what lessons God has for me in my morning quiet time. I'm sure they will be as challenging and uplifting as those from this past year.

As I head into the vast unknown of 2010, I want to share a final quote from a wonderful devotional book that I used in 2009 called "Joy and Strength," which was compiled by Mary Wilder Tileston. It is a quote from George MacDonald and it gives me peace when I begin to stress over what God has for me in the future.

"What God may hereafter require of you, you must not give yourself the least trouble about. Everything He gives you to do, you must do as well as ever you can, and that is the best possible preparation for what He may want you to do next. If people would but do what they have to do, they would always find themselves ready for what came next."

2010, here I come!

2 comments:

sister sheri said...

When I was back in Maryland I had the opportunity to go to a Lifeway Christian store with a 25% off your entire purchase coupon on 12/26! Oh, I was in heaven just perusing all the books. I picked up a study on Abraham by John MacArthur. I've been given the opportunity to teach on Abraham in February...

Happy New Year!

Laura said...

I really am excited to start reading my books! I'm sure you will do a wonderful job, teaching on Abraham!