Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Geocaching

For Christmas this year, we bought our son a GPS. Not the kind that chats with you in the car and keeps you from getting lost (I didn't know there was any other kind). But rather the kind that allows you to wander off into the wilderness and still find your way home by dinner time.

Before Christmas, my husband told me that, once David had his GPS, it would be fun for the whole family to all go geocaching together. Huh?

According to Wikipedia, geocaching is a "game of high-tech hide and seek" where you use a GPS to find specific locations where someone has "cached" a logbook and often items for trading like toys or "trinkets of little value." Didn't we do this kind of thing back in elementary school just minus the expensive GPS? I think we drew maps instead and crinkled up the paper to make it look old.

Anyway, apparently this new sport is worldwide with over 100 countries boasting their own geocaches. It could be fun.

Actually, I think I might be pretty good at it. It doesn't require me to run faster than anyone else or have exceptional eye/hand coordination. Those are both in my favor.

There is that whole technology thing. But if we go in a group, I can be the one who carries the little trinkets and let someone else do the "GPS-ing." Oh, and the snacks...I'll carry the snacks.

Of course, as in any other sport, I'd need to get the right equipment. I'm pretty sure that would include a new pair of walking shoes, probably a nice water-proof jacket, a warm scarf and gloves. It is winter afterall.

Why not give it a try? If I get bored, I can always just wait for the rest of them in the car. Remember, I've got the snacks...

2 comments:

sister sheri said...

My husband's current hobby is photography. So we go here and there and some times it is cold and wet. I think snacks are the MOST important. And I always take a book or some knitting to keep me busy in the car.

Laura said...

If you can endure the cold, then I'm sure I can too. And who knows, maybe it WILL be fun!