Monday, September 5, 2011

A Lesson from a Feathered Friend

My husband and I returned from a wonderful, sunny walk this morning and I decided to water the plants in our courtyard before it got too warm.  I grabbed my watering can and made my way over to one of the windowboxes when suddenly, I saw a tiny little yellow bird just sitting on the ground.  It startled me and I expected it to fly away.  But it didn't. It sat there, absolutely still, with just its eyes moving back and forth.

I called to my husband to come out and see the bird.  We figured that sometime before we had returned from our walk, it must have flown into the window and was now completely dazed.  I quietly went into the house so I wouldn't cause the bird any more trauma and checked on it several times from an upstairs window.  The poor little thing sat there, perfectly still, for the longest time and I began to fear that it wouldn't survive.

A bit later in the morning, I went outside again, and to my delight, the bird was gone.  I called to my husband that the bird was gone and told him that I hoped a cat hadn't been in the courtyard.  He reassured me that the bird had just been dazed and needed to rest before it could fly away.

Sometimes, our lives are like that.  Difficult, painful circumstances often hit us unexpectedly, leaving us feeling dazed and unable to move forward.  In those times, remember that it's okay to take some time to rest and recoup. Allow yourself a season of healing when there's been pain.  Then, just like my little feathered friend, when the time is right, you'll have the strength to move on.

1 comment:

cindy holman said...

Laura - this is beautiful. I think I am that feathered friend and somehow I've had the strength to move on.