Saturday, April 30, 2011

Life in a Box

It's been a long time since I could fit all my possessions in one box...even a fairly large box!  But this week, my daughter and new son-in-law worked feverishly to get to that point.

Last Saturday, a lovely orange box was deposited in our driveway in preparation for "the big move."  Joel and Elizabeth are starting out their married life in Southern California which meant that there was a whole lot of packing, sorting and throwing out stuff to do in order to fit all of their possessions in this box.  Actually, Elizabeth had to do the sorting and throwing out since as Joel puts it, he "likes to travel light."


But they did it!


After a few busy and stressful days, the stuff of a lifetime was sorted into "toss" and "take" piles as they prepared for this momentous journey.  At one point, I did hear Joel say...I think maybe to himself..."I have to get used to the fact that there is no more traveling light."  What a smart young man my daughter married!

By Wednesday around noon, their lives fit into that big orange box...okay, and two cars.  And this morning, they walked into their first home together, a little one bedroom apartment in California. How exciting! Now it's time to start living outside the box!

1 comment:

kate said...

I am quite impressed they fit everything in there! I don't think I could (or would want to) attempt a task like that!