Saturday, March 5, 2011

Why Am I Here?

"Why am I here?"  It's a deep question and one that all of us will ask at some point in our lives. Some try to avoid it... quickly brushing past it, but the truth is, one day each of us will find ourselves standing in front of an open cupboard or refrigerator, with a bewildered look on our face asking "Why am I here?"

I used to think that I knew where I was going in my life.  No more.  These days, I turn up in a room and can't for the life of me figure out why I went in there. I try the old retrace-your-footsteps-trick and sometimes, I when I get back to where I started, inspiration hits and I remember why I went into the other room. Other times, I just get back where I started and can't remember why I was going into that room.

The absolute worst time for this little mind game is when I'm trying to make my grocery list.  I'm a planner. So every Thursday night, I make a weekly menu and from that, I make my grocery list.  A little aside here, but when my kids were still had home, I used to drive them crazy every Thursday asking them "What do you want for dinner this week?"  They hated it and I hated the fact that they never, ever gave me any ideas.

Now, what was I saying?  Oh yeah.  So I make my grocery list from the ingredients that I'll need for the dinners I've planned for that week.  That means I pull out my recipes, that come spilling out of a dilapidated old file folder, in order to figure out what I need to buy.  Do I still have a jar of spaghetti sauce in the cupboard (don't judge me... yes, Prego and I are good friends)?  I think so, but I'd better go check.

And there I am.  Standing in front of the cupboard asking, "Why I am here?" I wait a few seconds... rearrange a couple of items in on the shelf before admitting defeat and heading back to my menu to figure out why I went into the kitchen.  Soup?  Tuna?  Oh, that's right, spaghetti sauce! Then it's back to the kitchen again. 

Some nights it takes me a really long time to finish my grocery list. But the good news is, I'm getting my exercise like the doctors are always harping about!

No comments: