Friday, December 4, 2009

Dear Mom,

As I was driving home from work, a song came on the radio that said, "I wonder what Christmas in Heaven is like." I thought of you and smiled because you know the answer to that.

It is hard to believe that it was seventeen years ago today that you left us. It was a glorious sunny, cold day...just like today. I remember thinking that Heaven pulled out all the stops to welcome you home that day. But Christmas has never been the same for me.

All of your girls have carried on your traditions and we are so blessed with wonderful families, but a part of us went with you. You were the heart of our family. And I will always be grateful for your love and example.

Thank you for the sweet memories of you in your apron helping us make Russian Teacakes and Molasses Crinkles. Or of you sitting in the lamplight hemming our matching Christmas dresses so they would be ready to wear for the Christmas program at church. You made Christmas magical for all of us.

Mom, I have heard your whisper in every Christmas since you left us. And with all my heart, I cherish the legacy that you gave us.

I love and miss you,
Laura

No comments: