Monday, December 14, 2009

Amazed

"And all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them." Luke 2: 18

Amazed. That's what Luke says the reaction was to the shepherds' news that a little baby had been born. A little baby who just happened to be the long-awaited Messiah. Not skepticism. Not ridicule. But amazement!

As I read these words this morning, I couldn't help thinking how differently the world receives this news today. Rather than amazement, the news that God chose to enter our world on that night so long ago, is often met with total disinterest if not out right rejection.

As I read these words this morning, I couldn't help thinking that too often, I also miss the amazement of God's choice to enter the world as Immanuel, God with us. I can't grasp the selfless love that it took for Him to send His "one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

I'll never completely understand that love. But I never want to forget that, without that Baby born so long ago, there was no hope of redemption for my broken and sinful life. It truly was God's amazing grace that "saved a wretch like me." If that's not cause for amazement, then I don't know what is.

No comments: