Friday, November 18, 2011

Homes Sweet Homes

This past week has been wonderful!  I've had the chance to visit my daughter, Elizabeth, in California while her husband was out of town.  I know that I'm second-best and she's delighted to have her hubby back (after all, they are newlyweds!), but we've had a fantastic time together!

This is the first time I've been able to see Elizabeth in her own home.  Until now, she has either lived in shared dorm rooms, apartments, nanny quarters, or in a flat in St. Petersburg, Russia.   But now, as a new wife, she's finally had the chance to set up a home that is warm and inviting and reflects both herself and her husband, Joel.

As a mother, it's fun to see how your grown children establish their own homes.  Their individual styles and tastes are evident in every piece of furniture, every piece of artwork on the walls, and in the books on the bookshelves.  In a strange way, it feels familiar, yet so very different! It's all so new and just waiting to be filled with memories.

I remember feeling the same way when my son and daughter-in-law were married and I visited their first home together.  It was a sweet experience to see the next generation taking shape right before my eyes!

So, this week has been delightful. Elizabeth and I have done so many things that I'll need to report on in coming posts.  But for now, I'm soaking up my last few hours in this newly established home, so filled with love.  And tomorrow morning, bright and early, I fly back to my own home that is packed full of years of memories that led up this this wonderful week.

2 comments:

sister sheri said...

Something for me to look forward to!

Katie Sproul said...

What a fun trip! I am glad you were able to see her!