Sunday, November 6, 2011

Communion

Today was Communion Sunday at church.  With the autumn sun streaming through the windows, I watched as the ushers approached, stopping at each row to offer the elements to those of us waiting to be served.  With a mediative heart, I thought of the countless times I have shared this special moment with my Lord.

In my mind, I could see my dad's hands offering the Communion plate and cup to the congregation as he served as usher to our church for so many years.

I remembered a beautiful Sunday morning, sitting on the beach with fellow college students with whom I had just shared a wonderful weekend retreat.  We passed paper cups and whole loaves of bread to one another as we sat on driftwood logs and re-committed ourselves to God's service.

I thought of the first time for both of my children that I was able to help them partake of Communion because they understood what the elements meant and desired to take part in this most sacred ceremony.

There have been times when I taken Commumion while my heart was breaking and other times when it was bursting with overflowing joy.

So many different Sundays, so many different people with whom I have shared the sacraments.  And always...always, God has met me in those moments. Sweet communion, God's richest blessing for which I am so thankful.

No comments: