Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Flying High!

I'm not much of a traveler. The fact that I flew down to visit my daughter last week was very exciting for me.  It's actually been three years since I've been on an airplane. Before that? About fifteen years. So flying isn't something I get to do very often.

Last Saturday, flying home from California, I had a window seat...and I took full advantage of it.  As the plane gained altitude, I peered out that small window and almost laughed at the ridiculousness of what I saw.  Outside the window...BELOW me...were the fluffiest, white clouds.  Yeah, that's right, BELOW me! It was a carpet of white, rather than the normal ceiling of white that I'm used to looking at. 

Mountaintops peeking through the clouds.


Brilliant blue skies above the white clouds.

I was flying...along with a bunch of other people inside this giant bullet of a plane. And everyone just seemed to take it for granted! As we crossed over the vapor trail of another jet, I thought about all the amazing things we do in these modern times, without ever giving them a second thought. It's a little embarrassing how numb we seem to have become to the wonders of our age.

But on Saturday, I was taking in the thrill of it all!  Flying!  Perhaps not soaring as gracefully as the birds that we were sharing the skies with, but it was pretty cool, nonetheless!

1 comment:

cindy holman said...

Yes - I agree! It's a miracle to fly!