Sunday, February 27, 2011

Go Ahead and Laugh!

You have my permission.  Go ahead and laugh at what I'm about to share with you.  I know it's ridiculous and speaks volumes about what a dinosaur I am when it comes to technology (something I have admitted here several times before), but I am so thrilled because I am sitting at Starbucks, sipping my free birthday caramel macchiato and typing this blog on my laptop!  Did you catch that?  I'm at Starbucks, and I'm using their free wifi, which means I figured out how to do it all by myself!

For years now, I have watched all these computer savvy people typing away on their laptops and so wished that I could do the same.  Then, Starbucks finally started offering free wifi and I knew I had to do it! 

So I'd ask my husband, son and daughter just how I would go about signing onto the internet from the cozy confines of a coffee shop.  The answer was always vague...something about clicking on a little icon at the bottom of my screen and then selecting the right icon for the connection.  Really?  Come on, people, I need precise, step-by-step, concrete directions preferably WITH diagrams.

Finally, I realized that wasn't going to happen.  So, today after church, with my free birthday drink coupon burning a hole in my pocket, I gathered up my computer, my coupon, and my courage and headed for the nearest Starbucks.  I decided that if I couldn't figure out how to connect, at least I could look at pictures of grand baby, Ella that are saved on my laptop. Who knows, someone might look over my shoulder and ooh and aah at what a beautiful baby she is...and she is.

But I did it!  I'm in Starbucks and I'm typing a post!  It's one small step for Laura, but one giant leap for...well, I don't know how to finish that, but I'm feeling mighty proud of myself!  So go ahead...laugh.  It's okay.  I'm laughing too and it feels good.

By the way, you too can get a free birthday coupon from Starbucks.  Just make sure that you register your gift cards at Starbucks.com and then they'll send you a coupon on your birthday along with other perks. That's kind of a techie thing to know, don't you think? Okay. Maybe not...

2 comments:

sister sheri said...

Congrats on your techie success! I remember the feeling of accessing free wifi for the first time... it was so exciting! And a free Starbucks tops it all!

Debbie said...

Good for you! I am personally a Diplodocus. What type of dinosaur are you?