Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Destinations

Do you ever hear a song on the radio that's played over and over again without ever really listening to the lyrics?  And then, for some reason, a part of it registers with you and you realize what it's saying.  That happened to me this Christmas. 

One of the local radio stations was playing the song "Believe" from the Polar Express.  I wasn't really paying much attention, when all of a sudden a line jumped out at me.  It's a simple phrase but I absolutely love it and haven't stopped thinking about it. Are you ready? Here it is:

"Destinations, are where we begin again."

I know! It's deep. It's visionary. It's true!  Life isn't just one long journey.  Instead, it's a series of experiences, destinations, that we inhabit for a specific time and then begin again. 

Think about a time when your life was consumed by a particular experience or person or a series of events.  In those moments, it seemed like that was what your life would always be about. But eventually, life moved you past it.  You reached the destination and then it was time for a new start.

I love the thought that, what we often think of as the end...the arrival...is really just the next beginning. We reach our destination. And then we pack our bags for the next chapter that's waiting to unfold.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Joy said...

Sometimes I find that reality hopeful. But truthfully, sometimes it's just exhausting.

mjbarran said...

I can't believe i found your blog!! Hi Laura:) I think about you often. Good thoughts. I have connected with so many old friends vis facebook. I have searched for you on FB..but, understand you have decided to blog instead -- good for you. I look forward to visiting your posts. Missy

Laura said...

Missy! How did you find me? Let's chat...