Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Comfort and Joy



This past weekend, my daughter, Elizabeth, and I decorated our Christmas tree.  Last year at this time, she was in St. Petersburg, Russia, and my husband and I were facing our first Christmas morning alone.  Needless to say, we survived, but it's wonderful to have her home!

As we decorated the tree, I experienced the familiar nostalgia I feel every year as I carefully removed each ornament from its box.  In my hand, I held not just a colorful ornament, but a precious memory as well. Each glittering jewel tells a different chapter in our lives. I loved the memories that came to life as I looked at them.

Last year, I shared this post about the Christmas angel that sits on the top of our tree.  Our angel tree-topper will always be special to me regardless of how bent her wings become or how wrinkled her halo looks.

I told Elizabeth that when we take down the tree this year, we'll need to pack up the ornaments that belong to her so she will have them next year for her first Christmas as a young bride.  Just as my son, David, did when he got married, she will take the ornaments...and the memories...with her to begin another Christmas tradition in her own home.  And that thought brings me comfort and joy!

1 comment:

sister sheri said...

What a precious Christmas you are celebrating this year... what memories you have ahead of you!