Monday, August 16, 2010

Breaking Free!

How would you describe yourself?  Are you a rule-follower, a risk-taker, a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants person?  Are you predictable or wild and crazy?

I have to admit that I'm pretty much the ultimate predictable rule-follower.  Always responsible.  Always dependable. Always frugal. Sounds pretty boring, right?

Well, last night, I threw caution to the wind!  I went totally crazy!  I opened a new carton of yogurt without finishing the old one just because I wanted to!!  That's right,  Did you catch that?  I didn't finish the old one!!

When I did my predictable Friday night grocery shopping, I bought TWO cartons of that expensive Greek yogurt I told you about in an earlier post.  It was on sale and was the same price as my usual yogurt, so I bought it.  I figured I'd be responsible and just finish up the old yogurt and then I'd have this delicious treat waiting for me.

But last night when I went to pack my lunch for today, something inexplicable came over me. I looked in that carton of almost gone yogurt and suddenly snapped the lid back on and shoved it to the back of the fridge .  Instead, I pulled out one of those cartons of creamy, honey-flavored yogurt and boldly filled my little plastic container.

I felt frivolous!  I felt empowered!  I felt...a little guilty!  But it didn't matter!  I was breaking out of that old predictable pattern of ME! 

At lunch today, I enjoyed every honey-laden spoonful of yogurt. And I'm looking forward to another helping of it for lunch tomorrow.  It's great to have something so freeing to look forward to! 

Of course, I still need to do something with that old yogurt carton that's in the back of my fridge.  Maybe once everyone has gone to bed tonight I can take it out to the garbage can.  And hide it under some vegetable peels or something.  Okay, so maybe I still have a little ways to go before I totally break free...

2 comments:

Elizabeth Joy said...

I love it when you walk on the wild side.

sister sheri said...

This is adorable! Truly... why do we make ourselves have to follow our own silly rules? You are a rebel!