Saturday, March 20, 2010

Unexpected Blessing


After doing all of my Saturday chores...and then some...I received an unexpected blessing. As I sat reading, my cell phone rang. It was my daughter-in-law, Monika. She called to ask if I'd like to hang out with her since both of our "boys" were busy watching the University of Washington Huskies play basketball as part of March Madness. It took me about a split second to answer, "Yes!"
We met up at a Starbucks part way between both of our homes. It was a wonderful time of simply talking and sharing our hearts. What a joy to see what God has been teaching both of us over the past months.
After our Starbucks visit we headed over to the mall where I totally lost track of time while we shopped. It was a wonderful afternoon!
It's funny. I've been thinking of writing this post since Christmas. Over these past months, I've thought about how blessed I have been by the family that God has given me. First, He gave me wonderful parents and sisters. Then a loving husband and two remarkable children. And now, for nearly five years, I've had the joy of having a daughter-in-law who has been a perfect fit for our family.
Monika is not an "add-on" to our family. She is one of us (sorry, Monika!). All of our quirky ways haven't scared her off yet. Instead, she has embraced us as her own. I know that this is no small thing for it doesn't always happen that way. I appreciate just how blessed we are.
So today, an unexpected blessing came in the sweet sharing of my afternoon with Monika. I hope she knows just how precious she is to me.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Joy said...

yeah...our family kind of rocks.