Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Let There Be Light!

Recently, my husband installed new light fixtures in our kitchen. For the 13 years that we have lived in this house, we have sliced and diced, boiled and fried in a very dimly lit kitchen. The two single-bulb light fixtures just didn't do the job.

So we upgraded to a cool new track system that really lights up the place! And I love it! Well, I love most of it. You see, with all of this new light, we actually discovered that there were some less-than-sparkling surfaces in our kitchen. Aah...horror!

Once the lights went up, the sponges came out. Now, I spend LOTS more time wiping down the stove top, back splash, counter tops, tea kettle...all things that I used to think were clean.

So, I'll be honest here. Once or twice, I've kind of missed the old dim lighting. It was a whole lot less work living in a slightly dirty kitchen, especially since we didn't know that's what we were doing.

But when I start thinking like that, all I have to do is look up at those fantastic new lights. They make the kitchen so much brighter and more cheerful than it was before. There's just no going back!

This sounds a bit like how we live our lives at times. We go along thinking that we're doing okay. Then God shines His light into our lives and we realize just how dirty we really were. And even though His light changes us for the better, we still have those days where the ease of that old dirty, grimy life seems appealing.

When those times come, re-focus your gaze. Look to the Light. Because, there really is no going back.

No comments: