Friday, October 2, 2009

Walmart Wanderings

It's Friday night and usually on a Friday, it would take an act of God or at least a really great sale to get me to leave my house once I make it home. But tonight I decided to head over to Walmart to pick up a few items that I couldn't find when I went grocery shopping.

It was an unusual experience in a couple of ways. First, the usual aisle hogs were missing. You know who I mean. Those folks who seem to find nothing wrong with stopping right smack in the middle of the aisle to either discipline an unruly child or make the seemingly difficult decision of whether to buy plain or peanut. They must have made all of their purchases earlier in the day because tonight, the aisles were wide open and I was able to cruise to my heart's content.

The other unusual thing was that there was an entire section of clearance items. Not just your usual aisle or two, but a whole corner of the store. And it had a wide variety of "treasures" to choose from. Being the rather frugal person that I am, I usually think twice before stocking up on items even if they are on clearance. But I think that the stress of the past few weeks must have finally been too much!

I went up and down those aisles lopping one item after another into my shopping cart. Two new light green pillows...check! Three shower curtain liners...check! One bright green three-hole punch...check! One Miley Cyrus backpack...okay, maybe not that one! But the point it is, I was getting in the mood.

Then I headed over to do the shopping that I had actually set out to do. Shampoo, bar soap, cold medicine. Oh yeah, the really fun stuff. I went up and down the aisles checking out the Thanksgiving decorations (totally skipped the Halloween stuff since I've never liked the holiday) when suddenly I remembered that Boss's Day is in October! Good save, since I'm the one in the office who winds up planning for these types of occasions. So, Boss's Day card...check!

By the time I headed for the check out, I figured I had done a little damage (well, relatively speaking, this is Walmart and I am cheap, I mean frugal!). The total was a bit more than I was expecting. Oh well, my new pillows give the family room a whole new look! And should the occasion arise, I am armed and ready to do some serious hole punching!

3 comments:

Elizabeth Joy said...

you should send me a picture of the pillows!

Laura said...

Well, I may have slightly overstated when I said that the pillows gave the living room "a whole new look." A greener look, as in green instead of burgundy!

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.