Sunday, October 11, 2009

Taking the Plunge

I'm a planner. I like to weigh all the angles and figure out the best approach before I jump into things. So sometimes, it takes me a while before I'm ready to take the plunge.

I've seen a bit of myself in my son recently. For some time now, David has been weighing the pros and cons of going back to school to get his Master's degree. He has done a lot of research into different programs, and different schools. He's thought a lot about WHEN he should do this and IF he should to it. It's a big decision with a big price tag.

But he's finally taken the plunge. David was recently accepted into grad school at Indiana Weslyan University where he will earn a degree in ministry and leadership (sorry, I don't know the actual title). Since he will continue to work full time as a Young Adults pastor, he's probably looking at more than a couple of years before he will finish the program. So it's a big commitment.

On Tuesday, David will catch a plane for Indiana where he'll spend a few days going through the program orientation. When he returns, life takes on a whole new feel. Once again he becomes the student while still trying to find time to be a husband and pastor.

I know he can do it even though it won't be easy. But in the end, all the planning, the sacrifice and the work will be worth it. And often, the most difficult part can be taking that initial plunge.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by Grace Today. So nice to meet you! ;)