Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Lesson from 2011

I'm not one for making New Year's resolutions. But I do like to stop a moment and reflect on the year that I have just bid goodbye.  As always, there were many challenges faced, but equally as many joys embraced.  That's the nice thing about life...it usually balances itself out in one way or another.  Sometimes, it just takes longer than other times.

As I look over my shoulder at 2011, I know that it will be remembered as a year of extreme changes; even more so than usual.  Some changes were difficult, like the total upheaval and change of my work life.  But others were wonderful, like the expansion of our family through the birth of our first grandchild, Ella, and the addition of our son-in-law, Joel.

Through all of the changes in the past year, God has been impressing one very important lesson on my heart.  He gave me this truth several months ago, and it rings truer today than they did when He first spoke it to me. 

My lesson from 2011?  "God should be my first resource, not my last resort." When faced with struggles, I should go to Him first, rather than waiting until after I have failed at all my feeble attempts. After all, He is always there, He is always able, and He will always do what is best for me.

So, whatever challenges await me in 2012, I'm choosing to meet them with God as my first resource of strength and power. It really can't get any better than that.

1 comment:

sister sheri said...

Wise words to direct our paths!