Sunday, September 19, 2010

Comfort in a Bowl



I have a confession to make.  It's not pretty, but it's true.  All of the stress I've been under lately has led me astray.  I haven't been exercising, sleeping or eating like I should.  All of the good, healthy habits that I have been cultivating over the past year or so have pretty much gone by the wayside.  And here's the worst thing of all.  I've sought comfort in a bowl.

That's right.  When I just couldn't take it any more, I headed to the freezer and there I found my friend.  There I found ICE CREAM.   It started out innocently enough.  I grabbed a small bowl from the cupboard and put in just a couple of small scoops.  It was delicious.  Smooth, sweet, and creamy.  A balm for my hurting soul.

Certainly you can't blame me for deciding that, if a little was good, a little more was better.  So after another trip to the freezer, I did begin to feel better.   It's amazing how a little creamy deliciousness can calm frayed and fractured nerves.  It's also amazing how, when you make two trips to the freezer night after night, the ice cream carton empties out pretty quickly!

Thankfully, I think I'm getting this whole thing back under control. I know that the answer doesn't lie at the bottom of an ice cream bowl.  And I sure as heck don't want to end up in some 12-step program for ice cream abusers. 

But here's what I've learned...when life hands you a "rocky road,"  a little dish of the frozen stuff can help get you back into "mint" condition. Three cheers for chocolate, strawberry and vanilla!

3 comments:

sister sheri said...

Love that you even took a photo! I'm off to dig in to some pudding... that I had to cook because I forgot to buy instant!

Elizabeth Joy said...

i think i'd like to partake in some bowl comfort.

Rachel Elaine said...

You can't help it - the love of ice cream runs in the family :)