Saturday, September 19, 2009

My God is Getting Bigger

Yesterday, I has having my quiet time and reading in Chuck Swindoll's devotional, "Great Days with the Great Lives." Currently, I am reading about the life of Job. In Job 38, the Lord speaks to him "out of the storm," and we see the awesome power of God. At the end of the day's devotional, Dr. Swindoll poses these questions:

"How big is your God? Big enough to intervene? Big enough to be trusted? Big enough to be held in awe and ultimate respect? Big enough to erase your worries and replace them with peace? Remember, the more you know of God, the bigger He becomes."

That last statement followed me through my day..."the more you know of God, the bigger He becomes." And I am excited because I am experiencing this in my life.

Over the past few years, the events of my life have driven me deeper into my relationship with my Heavenly Father. I know Him better than a did a few years back. I am learning that He is big enough to be trusted with my most precious loves. Big enough to step into any situation and bring about His perfect will. And certainly big enough to overcome my greatest worries, replacing them with His gracious and healing peace.

It was a journal that made me aware of how much bigger God has become in my life. A simple little journal that I bought a couple of weeks ago so I could write down my thoughts, prayers and, yes, worries during this year that my daughter is in Russia.

I figured I would need this journal because I remembered how I was a couple of years back when she spent five weeks working in an orphanage in Ukraine. I was crazy about having to write in that journal every day...not because I had such interesting or valuable things to say. But, because I was so anxious and worried about her that I needed a place to spill all of those fears.

Now I have this journal, but I don't have this fearful need to write in it constantly. It's not that I care any less or that the situation is any less "fearful" to me. Instead, it's that God has gotten bigger in my life. I have learned to trust Him more with my family, my friends and certainly, the daily events of my life.

I would love to be able to tell you that I never worry anymore. That would be a lie. But I can say that I don't worry as much as I used to. God is getting bigger in my life each year. The steps I take to know Him better may seem small and very slow at times. But thankfully, I continue to gain a better understanding of just how big my God is.

No comments: