Friday, September 18, 2009

Day of Caring

Today I had the opportunity to participate in the United Way Day of Caring. About 16 of us from work spent the day at the Boys and Girls club doing yard work and cleaning inside the facility. It was a gorgeous, sunny day and I loved every minute of.

The director of the center gave us a tour of the facility, pointing out the various jobs that needed to be done in each room and outside. After the tour, we jumped in and got everything done in record time. By the time we had finished, pizza had arrived and we all sufficiently stuffed ourselves.

After lunch, Gene, the director did a wonderful job of explaining the impact that Boys and Girls clubs have on kids' lives. They are places that provide continuity, encouragement and enjoyment to many kids who otherwise don't have those things. I could tell that this is a man who is committed to making a difference in the lives of all who rely on these programs. It was truly inspiring!

After lunch and a few photo ops, we all loaded up in our cars and headed back to work. I don't know when I've felt like I had accomplished as much as I did today. It was a blessing to be able to give a little something back.

No comments: