Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Walking, Abiding, Resting

Well, Elizabeth has begun her "Russia Experience" even if it is taking place in Pasadena, California at the moment. On Sunday, she arrived at the school where she will have her month of training before coming home for a brief two weeks and then heading out to that land, far, far away!

Over the past several months, I have struggled to release my little girl into God's most capable and loving hands, trusting that He loves her even more than I do. Some days I am quite successful at it (little pat on the back). Other days, not so much.

But I have noticed that as time goes on, the overwhelming flood of anxiety comes less often and in smaller waves. And at those times when the swirling waves of fear nearly knock the shifting sand out from under my feet, I have learned to simply state, "God is in control," and to leave it at that whether I feel any comfort or not. I have to, because this is a fact and it doesn't matter how what my feelings are screaming at me.

During the past few months, as I well-meaning (I think that they are!) coworkers and friends have related horrific stories of people they know who have experienced first hand, the crime and corruption overseas, I've had to swallow the knot of fear in my throat and say, "God is in control." Or as I've watched the teetering world economy and wondered what the conditions will be like in a year, I've had to say, "God is in control." And even tonight, when I read Elizabeth's blog where she shared what she has been learning about the violence, police corruption and crime overseas, I have to say, "God is in control."

A few days ago, I found great comfort as I read my devotions from wonderful little book called "Joy & Strength." The book is actually a compilation of "writers of many countries and centuries." And while many of the entries are very old fashioned in their writing style, they often speak to my heart.

July 15th's reading started with Exodus 33:14. "My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." And then the author, John Pulsford, began his writing with these words, "Heaven consists in nothing else than walking, abiding, resting in the Divine Presence."

Walking, abiding, resting. That's what I needed to hear. Because, regardless of where I go, (or Elizabeth goes,) God's presence goes with me. And He has simply called me to walk, abide and rest in Him. If I do that, I will find peace in accepting that He truly is in contol and whatever happens, happens within His good and perfect will. And that knowledge is enough for me tonight.

No comments: