Sunday, April 15, 2012

Heart Link

There has been a hole in my heart lately. My children have taken to wandering the globe once again.  And while I'm thrilled that they have such phenomenal opportunities to broaden their horizons and expand their experiences, my heart never feels completely whole while they are gone.

It's not like I see them every day...one even lives in that strange-far-away-land called California...but we communicate regularly.  And even if we don't communicate on any given day, I know that we could.  But when they are travelling, communication is understandably brief, if at all.

There is just something about a mother's heart that tethers her to her children, no matter how old they are.  And I know from past experience, how painful, and lonely it can be when you are separated from them.

I've often wondered how mothers sent their children off in covered wagons to make new lives for themselves, knowing that they would probably never see them again and could only hope for some news of their lives.  I can't believe that their hearts were ever truly whole again.

At least today, there are ways to talk to those we love even if they are half way around the world, though it may take some planning and patience.  My sister lives for the brief moments when she can talk to her son who is serving in the Peace Corps in Africa for the next couple of years.  Life goes on, but so does that heart connection.

I'm grateful that no matter where my children go, or how long they may be gone, my heart will always hold them near.  It's simply what a mother's heart does.

No comments: