Monday, December 19, 2011

The Spirit of Christmases Past

I received a wonderful Christmas gift this evening.  I had just pulled the first batch of Christmas cookies out of the oven and was reaching for the second cookie sheet when my phone rang. 

If I'm being honest here, I have to admit, that for a brief moment, I was irritated at the interruption.  But then I heard the voice on the other end of the line say, "Hello, Laura?  This is your Uncle Dan!" and every bit of irritation melted.  I was overjoyed to hear his voice!  He was just calling to say a quick "hello" and to wish us a Merry Christmas in lieu of sending out Christmas cards.

My Uncle Dan is my dad's younger brother.  He and his wife, Pat, are the last of that generation in our family. We don't see each other very often anymore.  The large, extended family get-togethers have pretty much ceased as our own families have become "extended."

But hearing his voice tonight on the phone took me back to the Christmases of my childhood.  In that brief conversation, I was reminded of Christmas dinner at my grandparents' house with all the aunts, uncles and cousins.  I was a child again surrounded by my mom and dad and sisters. It was such a sweet moment.

This fleeting memory lasted only for the short duration of the phone call.  But it was a gift!  I'm so glad that my Uncle Dan and Aunt Pat chose to connect through a Christmas conversation rather than through a Christmas card.  Their words were sweeter poetry than anything Hallmark could have composed.

2 comments:

The Guys said...

This is a great reminder, Laura...Merry Christmas, my friend.

sister sheri said...

What a wonderful gift! Merry Christmas!