Friday, June 10, 2011

Random Act of Kindness

I just got home from Costco where I was the recipient of a random act of kindness.  I know!  With their giant carts that take up half an aisle and their congestion-causing free sample stands, patience and kindness aren't always at the forefront of people's minds when they are shopping there.  Or maybe that statement just reveals something less than stellar about myself...hmmm.

Anyway, it's Friday, I'm tired and once again, a little bit grumpy. But after dinner I made a quick dash to Costco to pick up a couple of things that I needed for tomorrow.  Since it was still dinner time, the number of shoppers was waning so I was able to get my shopping done pretty quickly. 

As I pushed my giant cart through the parking lot, I heard another cart approaching over my left shoulder. When I stopped to load my purchases into the trunk of my car, a woman went past me, stopping at her car which was parked a couple spaces beyond me and right next to the cart corral.

I had just reached up to pull down my trunk lid when suddenly, there was the woman, reaching for my cart.  I looked at her and she said, "I'll take it.  I'm parked right next to the carts."  I'm sure that my surprise was written all over my face as I thanked her.  "You're very welcome," she said. "Have a wonderful weekend!"
With that she retraced her steps, heading back to her car and the cart corral.

I have no idea what prompted this woman to go out of her way and come back to my car just to save me a trip to return my cart.  We hadn't spoken, or even made eye contact.  But somewhere in her heart there was a spark of kindness that she heeded.  It was unexpected and certainly unmerited but so very much appreciated.  I can only hope that she felt as good on her way home from the big box store as I did!