Monday, May 30, 2011

A Memorial Day Thank You


I grew up in the Viet Nam war era. I remember seeing videos on the evening news of our servicemen in the jungles and rice paddies of Southeast Asia and pictures of body bags on the front page of the newspaper.

Young men's futures were determined by how high or low their draft number was.  And as in all of the wars in this nation's history, so many of those young men never came home.

Today, as I hung our American flag, I thought of those individuals who have given the ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms that are mine. Their lives were cut short and their family's lives were changed forever. 

 As a citizen, I am grateful for the freedoms I enjoy that were purchased by their sacrifices. As a nation, I hope we take a moment today to remember them.



No comments: