Saturday, November 14, 2009

Walking In the Light

Tuesday night I was walking to my neighbor, Cynthia's house for our Bible study. Now that daylight savings time is over and autumn has a full grip on our days, it is dark when I make this weekly trek.

So, with all my "gear" in my bag, and my umbrella pulled down tight to try to keep everything dry, I was navigating Cynthia's rather long, treelined, gravel driveway with only my little flashlight to light my way.

The beam from my flashlight was sufficient to light the way, if I was careful to keep my eyes focused on just the little patch of ground directly ahead of me. By doing this, I could avoid the bumps or dips in the ground and remain upright...a favorite position of mine since I have already fallen and broken one hip!

But as I made my way up Cynthia's driveway, I was surprised at how hard it was to keep my focus on just that little patch of light rather than looking ahead at the dimly lit ground beyond the flashlight's beam. I kept finding my gaze jumping ahead of the clearly illuminated ground.

I reached Cynthia's brightly lit porch without incident. But that little walk reminded me that this is often how I live my life. I try to run ahead of God's clear direction. That's when I hit the bumps and dips that cause so much unnessary pain in my life. How much simpler and safer it is when I choose to walk in the light that God has promised to show me.

No comments: