Saturday, August 20, 2011

Sharpening

There are lots of changes going on in my life right now that will continue over the next several months.  While I survived the layoff at my work, my specific job is going away and I'm being moved to a new position.  New responsibilities, new people, new location, new challenges.  Not my favorite thing in the world.

So while I try to focus on my gratitude over still having a job, I'm struggling with what lies ahead.  And a large part of that struggle comes from having to leave my current coworkers and having to move to a new location where I'll be working closely with different people.

I know these people, and some of them I'm happy to be working with.  But there are others who would not be on my list of "Top Ten People to Spend Nine Hours a Day With." Yet I believe with all my heart that God has orchestrated this move, so I can trust that it is for the best. 

My good friend and coworker, Rene, has been very kind in listening to me voice my concerns and struggles, and she is quick to offer encouragement. She graciously reminds me that God is putting me with people where I can perhaps be a positive, encouraging influence and share His love.  That's good.  I really like that.  I want to help them.

But somewhere in the back of my mind, I keep hearing a small voice that says, "Or maybe, those people that you are not so keen on being with, are there for YOU.  Maybe this is an opportunity to purify and change YOU."

It's amazing how much nicer it is to see ourselves as the ones who offer help rather than the ones who need the help.  But God loves us too much to let us off the hook when He sees areas in our lives that need to be chiseled and burned away until we reflect Him rather than ourselves.

Proverbs 27:17 says, "As iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend." That goes for women too.  And I have a feeling that this woman is about to experience some extreme sharpening. To God be the glory!

No comments: