Saturday, June 20, 2009

Bought a Camera

I just went on line and bought a camera! It took me a while to pull the trigger, but after spending a long time reading and re-reading the specs, thinking and re-thinking whether or not I should do it, I did it! You're probably wondering what fancy-shmancy camera I decided on. Okay, I confess, it was just a $99 digital Kodak from Walmart. But the fact that it took me so long to do it says a couple of things about me.

First, I still stop and think twice before spending $100 bucks ($109.27 to be precise). Spending more than a few dollars at a time for non-essential items is difficult for me. Over the years, money has been tight. And in these economic times, it really makes sense to be cautious. So it was hard and I nearly talked myself out of buying the camera more than once.

And then there was the fact that I was buying it online. I hate to admit it, but I still don't feel quite confident in this whole internet shopping thing. I like to see the person's face who is taking my hard earned cash from me. And I REALLY like to be able to hold my purchase right away instead of waiting days for it to arrive. But I realize that this is the way business is done these days, even if it makes me crazy!

So, now that I've done it, I can hardly wait for it to come. Almost eight years ago, our house was burglarized and my camera was stolen. I haven't had one since then, and for the most part, I haven't missed it. My husband has a nice camera, so we have taken pictures over the years. However, most of those pictures have either resided on that camera or on his computer, so I haven't seen them.

Then last fall, my sisters and I went to Hawaii for a week and they were all snapping pictures right and left. Didn't really bother me too much since I figured I could get pictures from them. (Let me tell you, cell phone pictures don't really do Hawaii justice!) But just like with my husband's camera, their Hawaii pictures haven't made their way to me either.

So a few weeks back, I decided that I really DID want my own camera...just something cheap and simple so I could snap a few photos when I felt like it and actually get to see them. Now, I've taken the plunge and I'm excited! I can hardly wait to snap some of those "close-ups" that you take holding the camera at arms length. Lucky for me, I've got "ape arms"and can probably include five or six people in one shot!

So, consider yourself forewarned because once I get hold of this baby, I'll be snapping pictures of anyone and anything that crosses my path. After all, I've got to make up for lost time!

No comments: