Saturday, May 2, 2009

St. Petersburg

My little girl is going to St. Petersburg, Russia. Okay, she's not that little...nearly 23...but still, that's a LONG way away! I've known that she is going to Russia for several months, though I often like to think that it's just pretend and she's not really going to go. But she found out this week WHERE in Russia she is going. St Petersburg.

So now I'll picture her in my mind's eye whenever I see a picture of St. Petersburg (that's not as far-fetched as it sounds. One of my coworkers has a calendar that has several pictures of St. Petersburg on the October page...and we looked at them just yesterday!).

I'll think of her whenever I hear about the Baltic State Technical University where she is going to teach English for a year (okay, that one is a bit more far-fetched since I had never heard of the school until she called us with her location on Thursday night!).

But the point is, she IS going. And it feels more real all of the time. St Petersburg. It's not the moon...it just feels like it is.

No comments: