Saturday, September 24, 2011

Beautiful Berries!

Ah, what a wonderful Saturday!  It was warm and sunny and I got TONS of stuff done that I've needed to do!  Nothing feels better than being able to check items off of that never-ending To-Do list.

One of the things I finally managed to get to was picking some of the blackberries that grow in the area.  Obviously, I wasn't the first neighbor to get out there with my bowl, because most of the easily accessible berries had already been accessed!

After challenging an army of sharp, thorny branches, I wound up with a sizable bowlful of beautiful blackberries.  This is the only time during the year that we are thankful for these ubiquitous plants.  The rest of the year, they are a major pain.  Although, come to think of it, the scratches on my hands and arms, attest to the fact that they were pretty painful today also!






So the question is, what am I going to do with these little beauties?  In the thick of the "berry battle" I was pretty sure that a cobbler was in order.  But once I got them in the house and washed up, I decided to freeze them.  That way, they can add their deliciousness to some fruit smoothies this fall!


No comments: