Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pushing Buttons

The other morning, I was changing the radio station in my car as I drove to work.  I do that alot.  When the DJs on one station start jabbering for too long, I'm quick to punch the button for another station that, hopefully, will be playing some good tunes.

That got me thinking.  What do the radio stations that I have pre-programmed in my car say about me?  Ever thought about that?  If a stranger was to get in your car and punch the buttons on your radio, what would they know about you?

Actually, I think my radio station choices make me look pretty well-rounded. The far left button, starts out with some country music. I started listening to country when I got my little Ford Focus about five years ago.  It happened kind of by default.  My old car only had five radio buttons, but the Focus has six. So suddenly, I had room for one more station, and country won out.

Next to country is a talk radio station.  That one ended up there by mistake.  Originally, it was an Oldies station, but then one day I punched the button and it had changed to all talk radio. I would change it but that would require me to dig out the instructions book to figure out how to re-program the button.  So far, that hasn't happened. 

Next to the "too-much-talk" station there is the "light jazz" station.  That one is totally a token station for when my husband drives the car.  I'm not too into the jazz; the songs never seem to end, but he likes it. And like I said before, I don't know how to re-program the button. *smile*

After the jazz comes a little classical music.  It's soothing when the traffic gets bad and I need to chill.  And then comes the Christian radio station. I hit that button so often that the number is actually worn off of it.  The final button takes me to the easy listening, contemporary station.

That's pretty much it.  My life in music genres. Since I rarely listen to music except when I'm in my car, it's nice to know that it's all there at my fingertips.  And then, of course, there's my CD player...

No comments: