Friday, September 11, 2009

It's a Big, Big World

For the moment, I have to take issue with Mr. Walt Disney. Over the years, he has brainwashed one generation after another to believe that "It's a small, small world." Well, I'm here to tell you, that from my viewpoint, it's not! It's a very big world right now and I'll tell you why.

A week ago, my daughter hopped on a plane for Russia. (Don't try to tell me that Russia is just a "small" distance away.) And then yesterday, my son and daughter-in-law hopped on another plane to Hawaii. Now, I just went to Hawaii last November and I remember the plane ride very well and I'm here to tell you that Hawaii is not a "small" distance away either!

So, from where I sit in my little house in Washington, the world is not feeling all that small. Not when my family is flung from one end of the globe to the other.

You can dress up dolls in all sorts of national costumes and have them sing, and sing, and sing, and sing...about how small the world is, Mr. Disney. But I'm not buying it. It's a big old world out there. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing. It's just that I'm feeling a little lonely right now.

So, I think I'll go hug my husband. At least he's just down the hall.

No comments: